Sunday 16 April 2017

Surprised by joy



Behold the man


Easter Sunday
16th April 2017

There was a moment today when I was surprised by joy.
Really, it should come as no surprise that on Easter Sunday, of all days, we are utterly bamboozled by the wonder of the
good news. Yet, great is the mystery of faith and great
is the surprise too.
 
The moment came as the choir sang with such triumph the joyful cantata Behold the Man. I was giving bread to
Irene in the pew. She had not been to a church service 
for several years due to illness. Yet here she was, flanked 
by her daughter and her son. This was a resurrection
moment (unexpected, never thought it would happen,
not even on the radar of hope). 

And I had to get the words out quickly before I was 
overcome by the utter joy of the anthem. 'The body
of Christ, broken for you, Irene,' I said, just as the choir reached the climax of the cantata:
Behold the Man, 
King of kings 
and Lord of Lords.
Through all creation,
Jesus Christ is Lord.
He is Lord. He is Lord. He is Lord

And in that moment, when hand holds out the broken body of Jesus to hand, the wounds of Jesus and the wonder of the resurrection came together. Jesus' wounds never disappear, even from his risen body. But they are transformed by his risen body. He is clothed anew.

We so often feel defined by our wounds. And sometimes
we feel trapped by our woundedness, like it has the last
word. And often we feel like we can't let go of our guilt
or shame or hurt, perhaps especially the hurt. And so we 
go round and round in circles, maybe believing fervently   that Jesus is Lord of all, yes of course (just not believing that Jesus can be interested in my guilt or shame or hurt). 

But the good news of today is that when we are in Jesus,
we are a new creation. Even though we have these 
wounds, it is as if we are clothed by Christ. We are 
offered a new wardrobe of clothes, clothes of maturity, 
clothes to fit a mature you and I rather than the childish
you and I.

Through Holy Week we focus in particularly on Jesus
the Man who is wounded and bruised, despised and 
rejected, whose face we hide from in shame. We hide
our shame too, for all this suffering seems too costly, 
to incredibly hard to bear, and we do not believe we can
possibly be worth dying for. 

But on Easter Sunday, we discover that we (and all 
creation) is so utterly precious to God. And that we are 
being called to grow into the image God has of us. We are
called into maturity, a maturity which is able to accept 
both God's healing and God's discipline.

Oh praise be to the God and Father of us all, whose Son
Jesus is not far off but very close, who comes to us and
meets us with the wounded hands of forgiveness, to 
make us whole - even now, a new creation. 

Here are the inspiring words of the cantata by Jimmy
Owens, Behold the Man:

Behold the Man,
wounded and bruised, crowned with thorns.
He was despised, rejected.

Behold the Man,
a man of sorrows, acquainted with grief.
We hid our faces from him.

We did not know that it was for our sins he died;
that for us the Son of God was crucified;
that in love he bore our sorrow and pain,
and in love he willingly suffered.

Behold the Man,
suffering in silence, bearing our shame,
We hid our faces from him.

We did not know that this was God the Father’s plan;
born of love to bring redemption down to man,
that in love he gave his only Son
so that we might be forgiven.

Behold the Man,
risen in glory, coming to reign.
By the Father exalted, crowned with glory and honour.

Behold the Man,
King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
Through all creation
Jesus Christ is Lord. He is Lord.



3 comments:

  1. Easter Day began for me when I awoke earlier than usual, at dawn, and immediately thought of the Gospel women going to the tomb of Jesus, and finding it empty. What must that utterly new, totally unexpected experience have been like for them?

    Then off to church where there was the sheer joy of worshipping with dear friends, celebrating the baptism of Nellie and remembering with thanksgiving the life of Sharon, renewing our baptismal vows and offering our lives afresh to following Jesus. We could do all this in freedom unlike persecuted Christians throughout the world, and as I looked across our full church I thought and prayed especially for the Coptic Christians in Egypt.

    So what does the resurrection mean to me? I have been reflecting on some words from the main blog from Good Friday: "How often, we hear, it is the death of Jesus (not the resurrection) which effects deeply and converts our hearts and shapes our lives."
    The resurrection of Jesus deeply affects me and shapes my life because it brings hope. When God raised Jesus from the dead he brought a new creation into being, now, in this life. We don't just have to wait for the after life. God's life is victorious, death is overcome and doesn't have the final say. Life wins not destruction. God's life is indestructible, re-creating, renewing. And this new life breaks in now. And that brings great hope, not just through times of personal suffering and troubles, but in our world today. The nuclear threat, acts of terrorism, the misuse of human power, the abuse of creation are not the end story for resurrection brings the promise and hope of new life. God's life shatters all that entombs us, and bursts open new ways of living. Easter Day enables me to live each day with, and be clothed with, hope.

    Christ is risen. He is risen indeed. Alleluia.

    And thank you to all blogging companions during Lent, Holy Week and Easter. If there is to be a post Easter break please let us know when it begins again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday was a lovely day. I think the pattern of baptisms at Saint Hilda's is appropriate, but an Easter Sunday baptism as part of the rejoicing of the body of Christ in this place was lovely. I didn't know Sharon personally, but she was obviously a special person and remembering her on Easter Sunday and Nellie Sharon's baptism gave extra significance to Jesus resurrection. Also, it was lovely sharing the service and the rest of the day with a good friend I don't see nearly as often as I would like.

    It was a good day. However, several people spoke to me of the life limiting effect of serious illness either their own or someone close to them. There are two things that strike me. First what does christ's victory over sin and death and promise of fullness of life mean for someone whose illness is terminal or more and more disabling, physically painful and life limiting and secondly, how fully am I living out that victory and fullness of life myself.

    Like FEE I am finding the blog really good, although I find it difficult to write in the space provided. I hope the blog continues.

    ReplyDelete


  3. As we sang "Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day", the verse, " You turned my wailing into dancing, you removed my sack cloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent" (Psalm 30: 11), came to my mind. I wondered whether that verse was the origin of the song. Looking it up, I found no reference at all to this psalm. Instead, I found that the song is possibly medieval in origin. It is thought that the song was sung as people danced around the scene of the nativity. It was a song that taught the ordinary person about Jesus' life.

    Isaiah's prophesy, "He was a man of sorrows acquainted with grief", is well known. One of the posts in this blog spoke of how much we focus on the grief of Good Friday , and little on the joy of Easter Sunday. I would suggest that is because grief is much more a personal emotion that is not shared. Each person's grief is unique. Even though Jesus had his friends with him in the garden, he still chose to move further away from them and pray on his own. Even Jesus felt isolated in his grief. Joy, on the other hand, is an emotion that is shared more easily.

    A melancholic man is unlikely to attract many people. The fact that Jesus was invited to meals and weddings and that he had great followings of people would suggest he was also a man of joy. It is likely that he would have danced at the wedding in Cana, and that dance was a part of worship amongst ancient Jews.
    "Praise him with timbrel and dance", Psalm 150:4

    I would suggest these two websites that discuss of the role of dance in worship and about Jesus and dance:
    http://www.praiseonfire.com/jesus-rejoiced-in-the-spirit/
    http://www.refinedundignified.com/the-history-of-dance-in-the-church.html

    Should we consider dance in our worship? I say this with trepidation, as dance doesn't come easily to me. Free expressions of dance do nothing to lift me up, whereas choreographed ones where I can be an observer do lift me up. Perhaps that just reflects on my inability to let go of my inhibitions and worship spontaneously. Dance in worship, is not about lifting up the worshipper, but about lifting up God and praising Him.

    ReplyDelete