Friday 24 March 2017

Extreme love

23nd day of Lent
MARCH 23rd 2017

PAIN-CARRYING EXTREMITIES


I have been thinking about Jesus and extremism. And I have been thinking about how extremists want to create huge gaps in society, huge divisions that tear us apart. And I have been thinking about how this is so counter to God's will: how Jesus' incarnation was entirely about drawing us close to each other and to God. How Jesus was sent to create a bridge, a bridge that is spanned by his hands on the cross held out in extremis.

It was the extremes of Jesus' body that were pierced for our transgressions. As he hung on the cross it was of course his whole body that was wracked with pain; but it was his hands and feet that were pinned to the wood. This was pain being carried in the extremities of his body.

As I think about the extremists that are seeking to inflict pain on so many people through their violent acts, I think about Jesus' hands and feet and his being stretched out on the cruel cross. Somehow, Grunewalde's most excruciating image of Jesus crucified seems to me to be the one painting that explores the agony of Jesus as he bears the pains of our world. This painting comes from the Isenheim Altarpiece painted in 1516 at a time when the Monastery of St Anthony was treating sufferers of the plague and skin diseases. The image of the crucified Jesus is pitted with the plague-like sores of sufferers. And it brought great comfort to those who suffered because they could see how Jesus identified with them and understood their afflictions. 

Grunewalde is famous for another extraordinary painting of Jesus. It is of Christ resurrected. Apart from the rather obvious incongruity of a very blond Jesus, it is the very opposite of the crucified image. There is freedom in the extremities, there is movement rather than rigidity, there is colour rather than grim plague-ridden skin, there is wholeness yet still the marks of the wounds. Jesus hands are being held up almost as if to say, 'You cannot pin me down, you cannot box me in, you cannot contain me or kill me, you cannot keep or control me - I am the alpha and the omega.' Extreme love. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for introducing me to this powerful painting of the crucifixion which I had not seen before. I was very struck by the hands so I searched online to find the full and larger picture with some explanatory comments. And I looked at all the hands on the painting.

    On the far left is Mary, the mother of Jesus, clasping her hands, looking so pale and weak as she watched her son suffer and die. And I think of all those who have been bereaved this week through acts of violent terror. Like Mary, they are falling, weakened by shock and grief, needing to be upheld.

    So I then looked at the hands of the one who holds Mary, John the Beloved Disciple. His strong yet gentle hands hold her, support her, take the weight of her heavy burden, love her with such tender compassion. And I think of those who came to the assistance to those lying injured and dying on the streets of Westminster: those who administered first aid, those who gave mouth to mouth resuscitation, those who phoned for the emergency services, those who simply sat and held hands bringing comfort to those struck down.

    In the full picture, at the feet of Jesus, kneels Mary Magdalene wringing her hands and crying, with an agonised expression on her face, as she watches the man she loves die. It's as if she is crying out at the horror of what is happening. And I think of the many many people who are crying out at the evil we have witnessed. We all may wring our hands and cry out that this should not be happening.

    I turn to the man on the right side of the painting, John the Baptist, who points with his finger to Jesus. John never looked for attention, he only ever pointed to Christ, saying, "Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world". It is actually this one single finger that I was first drawn to when opening the blog today. It is such a prominent feature. And I ask myself, who is pointing others to Jesus today? Who is telling the world to look to Jesus? How am I doing this? I pray that as our church opens tomorrow, the building itself will point to Jesus, drawing others to the love of Christ.

    The hands of Jesus are so very difficult to look at. They make me feel uncomfortable, as I feel the pain Jesus bore for you and me. He could not, would not, ever stop loving, even to death on the cross. May those who live with the deepest of pains today know Jesus' love suffering with them.

    Lord Jesus, Crucified and Risen One,
    take my hands and bless them,
    and use them to support the weak,
    comfort the bereaved,
    work for justice,
    and to point to you,
    the Saviour of the world.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday, we were going over the horrific events in London. We spoke of how terrorism had evolved from being executed by organised groups to individual unpredictable acts . It reminded me of antibiotic resistance and mutation. The stronger the antibiotic, the greater the eventual and inevitable resistance.

    It also reminded me of the parable of the evil spirit that leaves a person, wanders about and returns with seven other spirits, leaving the person worse off than to begin with. Ending atrocities is important, but once war is over, or even as it progresses, people's lives need to be rebuilt in order to prevent ensuing chaos and repeated carnage. Leaving destruction and despair paves the way for the return of further waves of violence.

    I spoke to the children of how important it is to have faith, to love each other and to work for good; how leadership needs to be about service and not self aggrandisement.

    "Oh, that would never happen," replied my son.
    " Yes , it has happened many times in history," I replied.
    "Give me modern examples," he retorted.

    We discussed Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela and F.W. De Klerk. They were so successful because they acted selflessly and in love.

    1 Corinthians 13:13
    And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

    And so Father, we pray for Mary and all those she represents; those who are relatives and friends of the victims,
    Lord, bring them comfort.

    We pray for John,the beloved disciple, and for those whom he represents; those who help the wounded,
    Lord, give them the ability to keep going without being overwhelmed themselves. Give them your yoke and strength.

    We pray for Mary Magdalene and those she represents; the onlookers,
    Lord, help us to alleviate suffering. Help us to learn from these atrocities and to bring our children up in the way of peace.

    We pray for John the Baptist and those he represents; us, your body, the church. Help each of us through our words and actions, to point to you the redeemer.

    We thank you for the loving sacrifice you made for us, for the sorrow and pain you endured for us. Help us to continually look to you, the way, the truth and the life. Let your love be manifest in each of us.
    Amen

    ReplyDelete