Wednesday 25 January 2017

Goodness and mercy shall follow me

‘I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD’
John 10:11-14 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.’”

Last summer we were on holiday in the Lakes. On a rainy day, we went to a country fair in Rydal, and to my great delight there was a sheepdog trial. This is where shepherds with varying years of experience from around the country get together to share shaggy dog stories and pit their wits (and their working dogs) against each other. The organisers provide each shepherd with five sheep who wait for them at the far end of a pasture. They then must guide these sheep, which they will not know, through various gates and twists and turns till they arrive at a pen when, with a final flourish, the shepherd shuts the gate behind them.

Talking to one of the shepherds after his round, it emerged he had nearly 60 years’ experience. But, notwithstanding all that knowledge, the five sheep had been absolute tearaways and his young dog was run ragged. We were chatting to him as he gave his poor worn out border collie glucose water to re-charge her. He said: ‘Sheep are not as silly as they are made out. They are very canny. They spot a weakness in a dog and they exploit it. And once they have challenged the authority of the dog it will only go one way, and that’s downhill.’ This was very true of his experience that day. If sheep could smile, then his five were beaming.

We perhaps have a romantic view of the life of a hill shepherd. Of course, it is a tough and lonely lifestyle. It requires physical strength, tenaciousness, patience and a kind of stoicism which is born out of wisdom – the wisdom that knows things almost inevitably are going to go wrong rather than right. As I watched the shepherds with their wonderful dogs, I learned especially about their calm and steady attitude. Not once did I hear any of them raise their voice, no matter how frustrating the trial was turning out. In the real world (away from sheepdog trials) a shepherd knows his or her sheep. He or she know each sheep because they were there when they were born (or soon after). And they will know which one is missing even if it seems the flock is full. Shepherds will also know every rock and stream and blade of grass of the fells on which their sheep wander. They will know the favourite grazing spaces and sheltered spots. They will know which ewe is the leader of the flock. And the flock will know their shepherd (and dog).

We are considering the ‘names of Jesus’ in this blog. And currently we are midway through a chain of ‘I am’ names which Jesus gives himself in the Gospel of John. The idea that Jesus is a Good Shepherd is perhaps one of the most familiar, comforting and widely-known name. We are invited to imagine Jesus as the one who is out in front with a staff in his hand leading us to new pastures and quiet waters and places of safety. It is a dynamic image because it involves a sense of movement or journey.

But, actually, this role is about utter self-sacrifice. We learn that a good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep (echoes here of Jesus as the Lamb of God). He is completely committed to them. He loves them even to the point where he would give up his life for the sheep’s safety. He would not run away when the wolf appears (unlike the hired hands, who are only there for the money). But he would stay and ward off prey. And the sheep know him as he knows them. Such a good shepherd has his eye on the far horizon. He longs to add more sheep to his flock. He is constantly on the move and his sheep must keep on the move with him too.

Metaphors do eventually break, for none can hold the completeness of Jesus. But this metaphor works for us both as individuals (being carried as a vulnerable lamb over the shoulders of the rescuing shepherd) and as a congregation (hearing his voice together, discerning a path together). We each have our own relationship with the shepherd as well as a sense of a shared relationship with the shepherd.

Throughout John’s gospel one of the great themes is ‘knowing’. What kind of ‘knowing’ does John mean? Scholars often look for the ‘Gnostic’ nature of the narrative, a hidden or secret knowledge. It is sometimes called the Gnostic gospel because this was a developing theme of first century Christian exploration. In fact, this kind of secret knowledge was seen to develop an exclusive and dangerous approach to faith in Jesus, and so it was identified as a heresy. But Jesus was not a ‘secret shepherd’. He was always open, always calling, always teaching and ministering to people in the open. His was not a hidden cult or sect. And so, when Jesus says the shepherd ‘knows’ his sheep and his sheep ‘know’ the shepherd, he is not talking about an initiated secret knowledge. But rather he is talking about a liberated, free and relational knowing. It is about the kind of knowledge founded upon trust and experience. It is not, ultimately, about ‘knowledge’ of the head on its own, but ‘knowledge’ of the head and the heart. And the Good Shepherd knows how to take the trusting sheep on that journey from head knowledge to heart knowledge. Thank goodness!

Jesus knows things are inevitably going to go wrong rather than right - he knows the journey to liberation will go through the necessity of the cross. Jesus also knows the paths to righteousness where deliverance from evil is possible. And:
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    my whole life long.


4 comments:

  1. This comforting name of Jesus confronts us with the cross for the Good Shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. How great is the love of Jesus for you and me that he dies for us.
    I remember well the moment when knowing in my head that Jesus died for me became something I knew in my heart, and it happened among the gathered people at St. Hilda's during an act of worship including a dramatic presentation of the crucifixion. As one sheep among many Jesus made his love known, "love so amazing, so divine". And it is with the other sheep that this one sheep continues to learn to trust the Shepherd.
    The love of the Good Shepherd is both comforting and life changing, but just as it cost Jesus his life, we too are called to follow the way of the cross.

    I cannot read these verses without also being reminded of what Ezekiel wrote about bad shepherds and good shepherds (Ezek 34), denouncing the bad shepherd leaders of Israel and promising that God himself will come and shepherd his people. And I think of our world, its leaders, its peoples, and especially the weak, the sick, the vulnerable, the lost and wonder where the good shepherds are. Maybe other blog readers can suggest some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Good Shepherd is a picture we are all familiar with. I have heard these names so many times that it has never occurred to me to think about them deeply. It is this blog that has made me question the names. How relevant is the name Good Shepherd to us who live in cities. I wonder what Jesus what call himself if he came and lived in a city now. Would he call himself" The Good Cyber Policeman? " The " Good Lollipop Man , The Good Policeman,The Good Soldier?"
    There aren't many jobs now where one would be expected to lay down ones life. In CPR, the first rule is to ensure the person resuscitating is safe. I wonder what Jesus makes of that.

    For those who rear sheep, they know that sheep recognise their shepherd's voice. Visitors to farms find that the sheep will not respond to their calls even if they use the same phrases as the shepherd. The sheep respond only to their own shepherd's voice. The challenge for us is to recognise God's voice. How do we do that,I wonder , when we have not heard Him speak to us. As I write these words down, I am reminded of Philip's words,
    " Show us the Father", and Jesus response of " Whoever has see me has seen the Father."
    It still doesn't answer my question. How do we recognise God's voice when we hear it. There are times in life when the answer to a problem seems obvious, but many other times when the answer seems so shrouded. At times, I have found my answer through speaking to Christian friends. At other times circumstances have come together making the answer obvious, times when words from the Bible came to mind, and then many others when I have just had to make a decision not knowing if I was doing God's will.

    Words by Mother Theresa:

    We need to find God, and He cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature — trees, flowers, grass — grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and sun, how they move in silence. ... The more we receive in silent prayer, the more we can give in our active life. We need silence to be able to touch souls. The essential thing is not what we say, but what God says to us and through us. All our words will be useless unless they come from within — words which do not give the light of Christ increase the darkness.
    Examples of God speaking in stillness and solitude:
    Elijah and the stillness after the storm, Moses and the burning bush in the solitude and quietness of the desert, Samuel in the middle of the night.
    Jesus spent hours in prayer. Training ourselves to be vigilant for God's voice and spending time in prayer and learning His word has to be part of the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am continuing my comments here because of the limit on character count.
    Psalm 19 is one that I meditated on while I thought of Jesus and listening to his voice.
    The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.
    Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world.
    In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
    It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
    like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
    It rises at one end of the heavens
    and makes its circuit to the other;
    nothing is deprived of its warmth.
    The law of the Lord is perfect,
    refreshing the soul.
    The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
    making wise the simple.
    The precepts of the Lord are right,
    giving joy to the heart.
    The commands of the Lord are radiant,
    giving light to the eyes.
    The fear of the Lord is pure,
    enduring forever.
    The decrees of the Lord are firm,
    and all of them are righteous.
    They are more precious than gold,
    than much pure gold;
    they are sweeter than honey,
    than honey from the honeycomb.
    By them your servant is warned;
    in keeping them there is great reward.
    But who can discern their own errors?
    Forgive my hidden faults.
    Keep your servant also from willful sins;
    may they not rule over me.
    Then I will be blameless,
    innocent of great transgression.
    May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

    This Psalm reminds me that nature tells us what God brought into being by speaking. When I look at nature, therefore, I hear His voice. The next part of the Psalm advises me that we have His written law, statutes and precepts. When I obey them, I am listening to His voice, I am being obedient to His word. The last part prompts me to mind my words. Just as I am mindful of being polite when I speak, so when I speak, what comes forth from my mouth, should be pleasing to God. Because I know His commands, and He sent His son to teach me and show me the way, I already know how to do this.
    " Whoever has see me has seen the Father."
    This translates to me as,
    "Whoever as read my word, has heard the voice of the Good Shepherd."

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to FEE's question, here is something circulating on Whatsapp.



    THE JOE BIDEN EXAMPLE:
    For all her Foreign Policy misadventures the US has raised the bar of governance and responsible leadership that the world and those who seek to truly serve the people must learn from.

    Joe Biden had been in public office for 43 years.
    He was elected into the Senate at 29.Served in the Senate for 35years and 8 years as Vice President yet he couldn't afford to pay for the expensive cancer treatment of his son who was the Attorney General of his State of Delaware. The son was a Iraq war veteran who served in the Army before he became Attorney General.

    Biden had to offer his house for sale to be able to pay for the medical care of his son, of course the son must have spent himself out before Biden, the father could come in to help pay the bill.Obama had to stop him from selling his house and offered to pay for the medical care from his own personal money.Unfortunately the son died but not after the father had given all his best.
    Delaware is very close to Washington and he had come to Washington by train from Delaware everyday for work at the Capitol Hill and back home as a Senator. He will join the train back home on January 20th when he ends his tour of duty as the Vice President of United States.

    Delaware loves Biden for his years of service to the State and the people of United State. They call him the great son of Delaware. The point here is a man served for 35 years as a Senator and 8 years as Vice President and no tonnes of money buried inside his compound and bank accounts. How and where do politicians in US get their contentment that our own here can't go and find same.
    Leadership is about service.

    ReplyDelete